Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Moving...again

Let's chat...

Sooo almost a year ago my daughter and I moved from our 3 bedroom + den house of 8 years into a 2 bedroom townhouse. The location reduced some of my commute to work and put us about 5 minutes away from my parents, which they were super happy about. So, at the time, it was a good move for us.

Over the last 11 months I have had time to do a lot of "soul searching." I became single soon after moving and my daughter and I were officially on our own, no roommates, no significant other - nothing, just us! Although we had a blast being silly girls and hanging out, reality set in that we had moved to an area that was a bit above our means. I love the area, but moving here has required me and my daughter to give up pretty much all extra curricular activities because I have become house poor! As much as I hate admitting it, my family will be in a much better financial place by moving the 20 minutes away back to the area we previously lived. My daughter also hasn't adjusted well to the new school. Academically she is doing fine but she's not connecting with anyone like she has in the past. The frustration from this and the hormones of a tween have really caused a cloud of unhappiness.

Even though she will have to switch schools for a 2nd time (although we are moving back to the same area, it isn't in the boundary for her previous school), the change will help alleviate a few stresses for both her and I. Not to mention, my dogs will love having access to a yard again. Moving to a place without a yard (or anything more than a balcony really) has been a huge change for my fur babies.

I hated moved last year and luckily, I have a fantastic group of friends that donated their time, sweat, and company to helping me pack, unpack, and help me get moved in. Once again, I am not thrilled about packing after barely finishing unpacking, but the benefits of moving outweigh the inconveniences. Oh and don't worry, fantastic group of friends, I'm doing this one on my own...plus some movers. My idea: pack, point, and unpack - that's all I want to do - NO LIFTING!

Another reason I'm thrilled...I'll be able to afford a life again both financially and mentally (stress makes me sleepy) and I'll have an actual craftroom - with walls, doors, and even a closet! I LOVE crafting, all kinds of it, and I had great ideas for creating a craft space within the townhouse; however, the space never motivated me and I've missed that part of my life this last year.

Anyways, I thought this post was going to be a rant about hating to move but it turns out, although I mentioned the dread of packing, I'm really excited about moving. The idea of it, the change, everything!

Hopefully this blog will get off the ground after things calm down from the move.

Chat more later!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment